This is a project that has been needing to be done for a while now. But I was always afraid to do it, because I didn’t want to make the already re-painted dresser look worse than it already did.
However, with a lot of time off from work, and not a lot of plans other than home improvement projects, and the fact that we have been re-doing a lot in our house lately, I decided it was time.
And this dresser was in a sad way. It needed an update.
Let The Fun Begin!
It was really sad. Over half of the drawer pulls were missing. And it was a project gone wrong from at least 8 years ago. It never really bothered me until we repainted our room, and added a fancy new mirror along with some homemade art work.
I was nervous for sure. But I mean, how bad could it be? I just had to suck it up and try. Worse case scenario, if it didn’t turn out we would just have to go buy a new dresser. I tried to keep this thought in my head as I anticipated painting a piece of furniture. And not think about the money I had already spent in order to makeover the dresser.
Because at this point the dresser has really become an eyesore, because of everything else we have done in our bedroom. So first things first, I had to get it out to the garage so I could refurbish it correctly, and not half-ass my way through the project.
Getting it out of the bedroom was the first chore. I manage to get it this far down by myself. But enlisted the help of my husband to get it into the garage. No reason to scratch up the floors right?
Once it was in the garage, I used the tools that I have to fix it correctly. The bottom panel had come loose, so I used little Brad nails to secure the bottom piece.
Then I used 180 grit sand paper to sand off the rough parts of my prior paint job. On the top, and the front where previous runs of poly stain had formed.
Finally The Painting
Now that I had the dresser in the garage, and prepped, I was finally able to do the fun part, repaint the dresser!
I found this paint on Amazon. It is called Heritage Collection All In One Chalk paint in cobblestone. I knew I wanted to try chalk painting the dresser, but after doing a lot of research on chalk painting, I found out it is a lot of work. So while perusing for something to buy on Amazon, actually I was looking for Annie Sloan chalk paint and found this instead.
The reviews were awesome, and I thought why not. All in one? Yes please! And considering this is the primer, paint, and wax all in one, it was a good price at $31.99. If I would have committed to the Annie Sloan, it would have cost me three times as much.
And now that I had the paint, I needed a special type of paint brush.
Have you ever looked at special chalk paint brushes? They can be REALLY expensive! But again, Amazon to the rescue. I found this New Renaissance chalk paint and wax brush for $12.97. a lot cheaper than some of the others. And again, there were really good reviews for the brush. So this is the one I chose.
I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous to start painting. But again, it couldn’t be any worse than how the dresser already looked. SO I just went for it.
I have never used chalk paint before. And I wasn’t sure how heavy to put it on, so I opted for a lighter first coat, just to make sure I didn’t screw it up.
And once everything had a solid first coat, I waited for it to dry. It actually dried really fast, and the paint job was smooth. I think this is a self leveling paint, which means no brush strokes show up.
This could be due to the awesome official chalk paint brush too. I’m not sure. But the results are pretty fantastic.
I waited about an hour in between every coat of paint I did. And in the end, I did 3 coats of paint.
I was going to do 4 coats, but I kind of liked the slight lines of darkness that were showing through the paint. So I decided to stay with 3 coats, because I liked the look.
Then all that was left to do was to attach the new drawer pulls I had bought.
Have you ever priced drawer pulls? They can be REALLY expensive! I found these online at a place called Knob Deals. They had the absolute best prices. These drawer pulls were $1.99 each. I found the exact same ones at Lowes, for $7.99 a piece!
We did have to re-drill holes, because I suck at measuring and the knobs were 1/2″ too big for the drawers. This totally sucked. But because my husband is awesome, he was able to drill new holes. We utilized one original hole, and then I filled the other one, and he measured and drilled a new hole for each of the pulls. I am so lucky to have him!
The Finished Project
The dresser looked sooooooo much better! I cannot believe what a transformation this was! And instead of buying a new dresser, I was able to update my 1995 dresser into a very nice piece of furniture that compliments our bedroom now.
The photos really don’t do the dresser justice. It turned out so well, and was such a fast project that I have decided to chalk paint a few other pieces of furniture. I only used about 1/4 of the paint, and I have a few other pieces of furniture that could stand to be updated. And I still have a week off from work, so while my husband is working on our deck, I will be painting some more furniture!
Summer Time Home Tour Coming Soon!
And because we have been doing so much to our home, I want to show you everything! Once I get a few more projects off of my to-do list, I will show you everything we have been working on during my stay-cation. I can’t wait to share everything with you!